Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Family of Four



Jack said tonight, “The four of us, we are family!”  So, I guess it’s time to announce that Jack is officially a…big car carrier owner!


Just kidding…but Jack, being his typical three-year old boy self, is probably a little more excited about this new addition to his vehicle collection than he is about the new addition to his family.    Either way, I thought it important to announce that Jack is also officially a big brother to sweet little Harper Kay who arrived, safely, on Monday, January 27.  She weighed 7 pounds 4 oz and measured 19 ¾ inches.  (There’s more to her story, but tonight’s post will be short).  


After a 5-day hospital stay, we are finally settling at home and getting good at being our family of four!  Jack is slowly adjusting and has been really sweet with little sister.  My heart and brain are still out of sorts from all that comes with a new little one, but if I could succinctly express what it feels like to have another baby after a preemie…well I can’t.  But these thoughts from Khalil Gibran might help:

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
Verily, you are suspended like scales between sorrow and joy.


One of the things that came to mind today, as I gazed at our little Harper girl was, “I can’t believe I made you.”  And I was immediately reminded of the thoughts I had when I first laid eyes on our tiny boy, our hero, “I can’t believe I did this to you.”    Both thoughts came from intense love for my babes…one from sorrow…one from joy.  Either way, both the sorrow and the joy…and the babes are worth it all.  


1 comment: